Welcome to Solana Beach
Wealthy seaside community anchored by the vibrant and bustling Cedros Design District
Solana Beach is an affluent coastal suburb and a favorite destination for beachgoers, golfers, outdoor enthusiasts, and shoppers. The name “Solana” is actually Spanish for “warm wind,” the perfect way to characterize this warm enclave with dramatic bluffs flanking the sandy beaches.
This charming, seaside community is conveniently located just 30 minutes away from downtown San Diego but offers plenty of incredible attractions for those seeking a casual lifestyle and anyone who loves art and music. From the fantastic shopping in Cedros Design District to surfing at the popular and picturesque Tide Beach Park, Solana Beach provides something for every type of person.
What to Love
- Home to the vibrant and bustling Cedros Design District
- Beautiful beaches and plenty of places to go hiking
- Laid-back lifestyle, quintessential California beach town
People & Lifestyle
Solana Beach is a family-friendly area and a walkable suburb that feels more like a small town. The classic California beach town vibes are especially appealing. As one of San Diego County’s best suburbs, Solana Beach is bolstered by a tight-knit community, top-notch schools, and an abundance of outdoor spots for families and visitors to enjoy. Locals love to watch the sunset at the beach, as there are almost two miles of pristine coastline to appreciate for swimming and sunbathing.
Whether you want to go hiking, watch a live musical performance at the world-famous Belly Up Tavern, or spend a day at the beach, you’ll find many options available to you here. There is some nightlife in Solana Beach, but this aspirational suburb is better known for its subdued nature and quiet residential streets. There are lots of neighborhoods to choose from, with Lomas Santa Fe as one of the most luxurious, and El Camino Real/Highland offering slightly more affordable real estate options.
Dining, Shopping & Entertainment
The Cedros Design District is a charming European-style side street at the heart of Solana Beach. Touting more than 85 distinctive shops, sidewalk cafes, coffeehouses, salons, galleries, jewelry boutiques, and the renowned live music venue Belly Up Tavern, you’ll find no shortage of spots to shop, dine, and explore in the district.
Just a few steps away from the award-winning Fletcher Cove Beach Park, the train station, and the Cedros Design District is the Solana Beach Boardwalk. Featuring the best of everything Solana Beach has to offer, the boardwalk and its shopping center provide easy access to modern amenities while retaining the area’s cozy, beachside atmosphere.
Pamplemousse Grille is one of the most popular local dining establishments, featuring a French-inspired menu and casual, yet elegant environs that include farm painting decor. The homey breakfast spot and top-notch dinner venue Claire’s on Cedros serves California-style comfort food, and delicious organic dishes, alongside homemade bread, pastries, and desserts. This friendly neighborhood staple is family-friendly and dog-friendly!
Things to Do
- Tide Beach –– A narrow northern beach with a cove tucked beneath tall, steep coves. Great for exploring tide pools at low tide.
- Fletcher Cove Beach Park –– The central park, sometimes referred to as “Pillbox” because of the WWII concrete gunnery installations residing on the bluff. There’s a nice little, lush park nearby, too.
- North Seascape Surf Park –– This long, sandy beach is a nice place to take long walks and go surfing.
Solana Beach offers numerous places for great hiking.
- Annie’s Canyon Trail –– Annie's Canyon Trail via Solana Hills Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail that features a lake and is good for all skill levels.
- Harbaugh Seaside Trails –– A three-acre coastal overlook at the gateway between Cardiff and Solana Beach is cherished for its marine vistas and open space.
The premier golf and lifestyle club Lomas Santa Fe Country Club resides on tropical terrain and has earned recognition as one of the finest private clubs in San Diego County. Enjoy golfing on 18 magnificent holes along with social and recreational amenities and personalized service.